Thursday, November 5, 2009

So, it's been a while, right?




Yeah, yeah, I know. It's been a few weeks.  But, I've been searching for inspiration!  And, I found it in a squash.  A butternut squash, to be exact.

So, I few weeks ago I watched an episode of Christina Cooks on PBS. I generally find this show a little crunchy for my tastes... All vegetarian, organic, mushy, save yourself while you save the earth...Blah, blah, blah.  But, this episode was about eating foods that regulate blood sugar. Since I have insulin resistant PCOS, I took the show to heart. One of the recipes that she cooked was soup made with squash. I've never cooked squash before. It's kind of like gravy... An unknown.  A lot like pumpkin, but smaller, right?  But, I've never cooked with pumpkin before either (well, nothing more than that canned stuff you get in the store), so this is virgin territory for me.

So, I bought this beautiful butternut squash about a month ago, and then it sat there between my microwave and my stove, taunting me. By the end of last week I was getting ready to draw a face on it, name it Wilson and start having conversations with it!  But in lieu of a new friend that would eventually rot on me, I went looking for a recipe with chicken breast and squash in it.  My old friend, www.allrecipes.com came to my rescue once again with this winner.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Squash-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts/Detail.aspx


I didn't have any green peppers on hand, though.  What to do, what to do.... Squash, celery and onions seemed like an unambitiously bland stuffing, and I was experimenting here, right? Then my eyes lit upon the apples sitting on my countertop waiting for my next cobbler. Ah ha!  I diced up some apples and sauteed the fruit and veggies together, and VOILA!

Yum! Brown the stuffed chicken breasts and then bake, add some steamed broccoli and cauliflower and a salad and you've got a MEAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment